Tuesday, January 12, 2016

India Vs Australia


I may not have observed Aussies very closely, but in a short trip I could make out a few differences between them and us!


Go to the Gym? I don't have time!
One thing I have noticed is, most of them are always running. I mean, not running between office and home (like most of us) but yes! Running!! With their Nike shoes on and their ears stuffed with earphones and not to forget those shorts, revealing their long attractive legs! If Aussies are not eating or working, they are running. Well, we Indians? If we are not eating, working, cooking, watching T.V, gossiping or stuck in traffic, then we think of going to the gym ..

Well toned bodies! Don't we love it?
Because physical exercise is an important part of their lifestyle, their bodies are well toned.Almost any dress goes well on them. Once, I spotted a fruit stall near a convenience store on a busy street in central Sydney. I saw a beautiful young lady in her 20's standing next to that stall. With that simple white T­shirt and jeans shorts and a pony tail, she looked utterly stylish.Yeah! I remember all the details!! I was wearing my shades so I had all the liberty to stare at anybody who were in their shorts. Since in India, we don't usually bump into such beauty on the streets, I just couldn't help but stare. I was looking for the fruit stall owner, after a few minutes, the same lady approached me with a big smile on her face. "Hey there! Are you looking to buy some fruits?" WHAT?? She is a fruit seller???? I would have believed her if she were Chinese (with the whole world being "made in china", the Chinese are found on every corner of this planet). She said "buy three apples for two dollars”. How on earth did she know that I was not going to spend anything more than two dollars!! You have got to believe me, I looked like a fruits seller in front of her, in spite of being a software engineer.

Ever smiled at a stranger?
Once a middle ­aged lady at the airport smiled at me, just like that. I had no clue why she smiled, because we were strangers to each other. Was there something on my face? Or did my hair look funny? It kept bugging me for some time. Yes! We Indians don't exchange smiles with strangers unlike foreigners. I have noticed it several times, if there is even a minute of eye contact, they instantly smile. The first time I experienced it, I was head over heels!  YAY!! A foreigner smiled at me, it felt like I  be-­friended Barack Obama. (One suggestion,don't ever try this with our people, or you would be sending out a lot of wrong signals!!!!)

Traffic, we hate it as much as we hate losing a match to Pakistan.
It’s very common to see Indians break traffic rules! We try to always rush because it’s only when we are stuck in traffic that we realize, time is precious!! It may also be because, our administrative system is not strict.
We find it really annoying to segregate our wastes.
We bribe god to cut through the queue in the temples!!
I think, we are the number one rule breakers in our own country. But the same Indian in another country cannot afford to break any rules. May be because we follow what we see. But foreigners follow their country's rules, like a five year old following orders from their granny. Their cars are neatly parked, drivers following the lane, public(kids to elders) follow the queue. However crowded the place is, because of public co­ordination everything is administered in an orderly fashion. With everything appearing so orderly, you yourself get the sense of discipline without anybody's command!

Some Butter Please (makhan maar ke) !
I once heard that, "firangs" have dinner very early. Early is not 8.pm or 9.pm , early is 5.30 to ­ 6.30,in the evening!! Me being a hard core Indian, had two questions, truly and completely based on Indian mind set.
1) What time do they have snacks??
2) Don't they feel hungry again while sleeping??

for us, 7.pm is Pakoda and chai time and dinner would be after 10.pm.
Anyway, I am proud to be Indian and "We are like this only" !!

62 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post.. Keep blogging.
    Liked it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. u took me to Australia for a while. nice writing. i liked the traffic section very much :) keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! Traffic part was difficult to frame..

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smiling at strangers....is the best part I like in them.every day I drop my kid to school come back with a huge bundle of such smiles n a simple good morning wish which really makes me feel so happy.....definetly there r many good conducts which we can adopt from others....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Charita, just a small smile makes you feel good :)

      Delete
  7. felt like i was in AUS while reading dis... keep writing..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent observation,very nice to read such real experience with others,keep writing all the best

    ReplyDelete
  9. Privious comment was mine😃,good madhuri keep writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Archana.. It was was a great experience, so felt like sharing

      Delete
  10. New example to understand value of time----it’s only when we are stuck in traffic that we realize, time is precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an observation.. grrt..keep it up..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well observation, keep on writing on differences and why we are different? i mean whether it is following traffic rules or keeping city clean. What is exactly lacking in us. Good Madhuri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I should myself learn to follow the traffic rules :)

      Delete
  13. Good observation.. Keep writing All the best

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey ..I felt like that i really landed in Australia for while .I totally involved in the character...It was really well observation keep it up.very worth reading.Try to write on difference what you observed on conditions of roads,Transportation facility and behavioral of the people while in crowded areas.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Hope you are back from Australia now :)

      Delete
  15. Very good sum up of all the points, narrated in a distinct style. Expecting more articles & blogs..
    - Karun

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good observation. Reading your blog ll get to know u had great a time during ur short visit. We can adopt may good things from others. Like hitting gym to maintain good health, traffic rules to avoid accidents.
    Smiling as u said never try it here very true. I have experienced it, if unknown person give smile I'll question myself Do I know her, if not Y the hell did she smile??? Finally curse that person. RELIVED.. As I am proud to be an INDIaN. WE are like only loved ur tag line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deepa.. Looks like you have read it with all the concentration :) be like this only ! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Deepa.. Looks like you have read it with all the concentration :) be like this only ! :)

      Delete
  18. Hi Madhuri, Nice Writting n good observation and keep blogging.... Smiling at strangers, is the best part of this blog, which I really liked...��

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderfully written Madhuri. Most of your observations you will see in USA too. Excellent job keep it up. Waiting to read more and more blogs from you. - Rajeshwari Policepatil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Raju Akka :) because you explained me their lifestyle, I was able write this blog..

      Delete
  20. Madhuri...it is great,loved it..why hadn't you started it before?Keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Madhuri for a moment i felt like an Australian cow boy...thnks to ur write up... i really like ur keen observation skills... please keep ur shades always on... looking forward for the landing of ur next article...cheers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Australian cow boy :):)
      Keen observation? Thanks to my shades !! Cheers :)

      Delete
  22. I loved it :) I can relate it to US too.. Keep writing.. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved it :) I can relate it to US too.. Keep writing.. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do not want to say anything more than Thank You for free Aus tour...
    Nice write up & keep it up...

    Would love to see cont of this or anything else if u happen to write.. Notify me when the next one is ready...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much..i will definitely let you know and you can take another free tour ! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much..i will definitely let you know and you can take another free tour ! :)

      Delete
  25. By the way Congratulations on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good observation. Keep writing. Good luck. We have to learn many things by this observation.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved the post , Madhuri. Agree with all the things that make us different from Australians and probably most other countries. Liked the fact that you observed them and accepted it as it is instead of thinking like a critique trying to prove ours is better. Keep adding more posts about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loved the post , Madhuri. Agree with all the things that make us different from Australians and probably most other countries. Liked the fact that you observed them and accepted it as it is instead of thinking like a critique trying to prove ours is better. Keep adding more posts about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much Mrina :) someday I would write about our Manipal trip !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good one! Expect more such creative writings from you, Madhuri. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderfully written Madhuri..happy to read ur blog..Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete